Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thursday November 6th

Today for the first time I am blogging about today's events, which should make it easier. My host family's computer is Japanese so some of the keys are in a different places or have a different function so I need to pay attention. I slept in until about 7:30... yea! Today we arrived at the elementary school where I was to have a sixth grade class for one hour. I was accompanied by two Rotarians and after taking off our shoes we met with the principal in his office (we were served green tea). Tom Ikedo explained about the Rotary GSE programs and I explained what I planned to do in the classroom. I am also scheduled to meet with a seventh grade class next week and I anticipated about 23 each week so I brought 50 gifts. Much to my surprise when I walked into the classroom there were 45 students. They were so happy to see me that you would have thought I was a rock star. Fortunately Tom Ikedo was my translator. We went through the PowerPoint introduction about myself and then showed a five minute DVD about Pittsburg State University. They ask several of the same questions that the 6th grade students in Pittsburg asked the Japanese GSE team. What do you eat for breakfast? What do you like best about Japan? I gave a KU basketball championship t-shirt to the teacher and they insisted that he put it on. They were really impressed that the Kansas City Royals manager coached the last five years for the Nippon Ham Fighters. Dinner is ready, got to go.
Ken

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home