Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thursday, November 27th

Today`s trip had much historical significance for us and America. We traveled to the Southern end of the Isu pennisula to Shimoda where Commodore Perry arrived in 1853 with his six black ships and after after several months of discussion was able to sign a treaty which opened the ports of Japan to the world. There was a small Museum and nice memorial plaque on which the last statement read: query-if for real good of Japan. At the Buddist Temple Ryosenji the priest gave us much information about the whole process and spoke in perfect English. Jimmy Carter visited this site while he was President. After 155 years we can says that the opening of the ports has been good for Japan. At lunch we tried more new Japanese dishes and our translator for the past three days really helped me out so that I would know when the next item would be bitter or sour. Dinner at an Italian Restuarant which featured mostly Japanese food but did serve Spaghetti and the sauce on top was a light oil with Tuna-it was good. There was much discussion about where I was to spend the night. Rather than staying with the Assistant Governor as scheduled he took me to one of his close friends and the father of our translator for the last three days. It turned out to be a real blessing. Her father is my age and has a worldwide business. His home office has an internet connection with Skype, so that at 6:00 a.m. on Friday morning I was able to extend Thanksgiving wishes to my family, including Barbara who was in Kansas City (3pm Thanksgiving Day there). It was my most unusual Thanksgiving but one that I will always remember. In 48 hours I will be on my way to the airport and ready for the long flight home. I am ready to be home among family and friend but I have several new friends in Japanese who will continue to be a part of my life for a long time.
Always a Gorilla
Ken

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home